Monday, April 27, 2009

getting serious

Today is the start of a new plan. As you know, I've been trying to figure Roman out sleep wise. :) As you also my know (if you know me well enough), i have a difficult time, how do you say, following through? being consistent?. So pray I will be just that, consistent, for Romans sake.

I've been reading a book called "the no cry sleep solution" and came up with a game plan for Romans napping. My main concern with his napping is that he's only been napping for 1/2's at a time, and I don't think he's getting well rested. I rock him to sleep, which i totally don't mind doing at all, however, the second i put him in his crib he's instantly awake. SO! Here's what we're trying. For the next week to 10 days I'm going rock him to sleep the INSTANT i see signs of drowsiness. When he seems to be in a deeper state of sleep (after maybe 15 mins or so) i will put him in his crib and pat his cute little but to keep him from waking. When it's safe to stop doing that I'll leave the room and do whatever for a little while, checking on him often. The moment he starts stirring or seems to be waking up, BOOM. I'll pick him up and start rocking him again. The goal is to never let him fully come out of his sleep. When he's back into a deep sleep, down he goes in his crib again. etc, etc...

According to this book, this should help him stay asleep on his own after a while. And as you can see, it's kind of a big undertaking for me. :) I will be needing to focus a lot of my attention on Roman for the next week or so. I talked to Jeff, and he's okay with it. I warned him that this is going to require a lot of my attention, but if we are to do this whole sleeping thing without the crying (which I'm very much against for us after doing lots of reading on it), it's going to require a longer, more detailed approach. If you could keep this in your prayers, i would greatly appreciate it! Pray (specifically) that I would keep my stamina for this process and that roman would be responsive in a good way. Also pray for Jeff and I, that I wouldn't get too wrapped up in this process and forget my duties to him as a wife. Like i said, it may only take a few days, but it could also take 10 or more.

So far, as of his first nap this morning, Roman has been sleeping for 2 hours, and I've had to intervene 3 times for 15 minutes each. So, already he's sleeping longer. I'll let you know how the rest of the week goes. :)

1 comment:

Lissa said...

i'll be praying, sarah! i'll pray for wisdom on this issue, too!