Monday, June 15, 2009

I love being a mom!

Let me bring you up to speed on the last couple days.

Yesterday (sunday) was kind of a big day for me. I decided i was going to be okay with putting Roman in the nursery at church. haha. It's taken my 6 1/2 months to get to this point, but I finally did. But let me back up a bit.

Sunday morning rolls around, and for the most part they are pretty lazy; which I enjoy a lot. Jeff had gone to a bonfire the night before because a friend of his was in town after not being in town for a long time, and he wanted to go say hi. Off he goes. :) He left at about 10pm. I tried to stay up and wait for him to get home, but it was 11:56 and I was tired! So i snuggled up next to roman and went to sleep.

In the morning, Roman wakes up at his normal 6:30/7:30 time. I'm more tired than normal cause I went to bed round mid-night, and i notice jeff is still snoozing next to me. Well, in the morning, Roman is a loud talker. So poor jeff didn't get sleep much longer than we did. He slowly wakes, and i ask him what time he 'decided to come home' (kind of giving him a hard time, jokingly. This was night 2 of late night-ers for him) He said 1am!! i was pretty impressed. We're 10pm go-to-beders normally.

So we just all decide to lay in bed for who knows how long. At some point Jeff looks at me and says, 'are we going to the 9am service?' i say, 'are you kidding? it's 10 til 8 and i need to shower and get ready still! Not to mention get Roman ready too.' So, we decided to go the 11 o'clock one.

Here's where the day begins:

We're in the car almost to church and i hear roman in the back chocking. Now, this is kind of normal. He chokes on his spit a lot. However, today was different. My motherly instinct tells me something is wrong. I whip over, come to a screeching halt and jump out of the car. I open Romans door and sure enough he's having a hard time breathing. I dont think i've ever removed him from his car seat that fast before and i started whacking his back. (I already did a finger swipe JUST IN CASE). As soon as i have him in my arms, though, he seems to calm down and be able to breath normally. Jeff comes around to where we are and takes him to check him over. (Jeff has just been American Red Cross CPR certified and know's what to do...haha, but thank goodness he does!) Everything is okay. I buckled him back in his car seat and we arrive at church.

We take Roman to the nursery and I hand him over. I'm feeling at peace about it all so far. I've done a lot of praying about it. Jeff and I walk into the service, i've got my pager in my hand (it never left my hand, and i think i looked at it every 5 minutes or so). We enter in to worship and the message and about 45 mins - an hour into the service THE FIRE ALARM GOES OFF! are you kidding me?! My heart starts racing! all i can think about is Roman and how to get to him. Now, the alarm at church has gone off once before that i can remember and it was a false alarm. So our pastor was thinking this was another fluke, and he was making some jokes, trying to keep all of us calm. Normally, it probably would have worked. But i have a baby now. It didn't work.
Poor Jeff. He was probably embarrassed by his wife who was saying over and over, "we need to get to roman, I need to get to Roman, NOW. Let's go get him. Can we go get him now!!"

Turns out we end up having to leave church cause there was heat detected. I'm trying to stay calm as we leave, but as soon as i get out of the auditorium I'm walking so fast to go retrieve my baby I leave Jeff in the dust. When I saw them all outside I instantly calm down and grab my little man and dont let go. All was well. The church didn't burn down and everyone is alive.

The rest of the day involved a walk around Ada Hayden with some great friends, and me going off to a 'wax party' that evening which was a ton of fun! If you have questions about what a Wax Party is, let me know and we can talk! :)

Looking back, my reactions to the events that day were pretty hilarious, 'first-time-mom' type of reactions. But, what can i say. i'm a first-time-mom.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

:) This is probably the most "you" post I've read on here. I know, I know, I'll understand more so when I have children, but it still made me smile. :)

nealy said...

Hi there!

To answer your question, we order the headbands from a website called etsy, and buy the flowers seperate. =)

If you would like me to get you one, let me know! Just send me your address and what color you would like, and about $9 to cover the cost (supplies and shipping).

Hope you're doing well! Your baby is adorable!