Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tile and Tattoos

Yesterday my good friend, Laura and I ventured to the shady side of Des Moines to investigate the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. She had told me about it last week and I was intrigued! Apparently you can get some ridiculous deals there. It's all donated goods and for whatever reason Habitat for Humanity is unable to use them in their homes, so they sell it for super cheap! There's anything from sinks and hot tubs, to door knobs/hardware, to cabinets, to area rugs (I saw a delightful moose one...), to flooring.



As we pulled up to the building, it was pretty apparent that we were going to stick out like sore thumbs in the crowd of people we saw coming and going. We walked in, wiped down a couple carts and proceeded on our adventure. I have to say, it was horribly unorganized! They just seemed to throw like donations in a room. It looked like you walked into someones garage; a hodge podge of goods were randomly thrown on shelves and in boxes. We were both fairly disappointed until we reached the last leg of the journey. The flooring room. This room harbored some treasures if you are wanting to tile your floors. I found porcelain tile, twelve inch squares, for $11 a box and in each box there was eleven square feet. There were also bigger tiles -not sure of the size- for $17 a box for about seventeen square feet. Not to be cheesy, but I was floored! ;) I grabbed a couple to bring home!

:: Poor Roman fell backwards and hit his head on one of the wooden planks holding up some cabinets. I didn't notice how bad it was until we went to lunch. He wouldn't put his head back in his car seat and kept saying 'ow'. When we sat down for lunch in Ankeny, I noticed he had a huge scratch on the back of his head! :(  Even today he doesn't want to lay one the back of his head. Diaper changing is a bit of a challenge. ::

For lunch we ate some Mexican. I. Love. Mexican. Food. And I know that Roman is my child because he too loves rice and beans. Especially when mixed together. Yum. We ordered, ate and on our way out I noticed a tattoo vending machine. Yes, a tattoo vending machine in the Mexican restaurant. Jeff and I had been talking about how Roman needed one, and my heart fluttered when I saw it. I popped in the 50 cents it asked for and out came Roman's first ever tattoo. One of many for that boy. It couldn't have been more appropriate either. A guitar with a snake wrapped around it.



He thinks he's so awesome with it. And he is.



xoxo
-s

No comments: