Friday, January 27, 2012

george

So I added another photo off to the right, if you didn't already notice.  That, my friends, is George Patrick Okello.  The newest member of our family.  Though we don't know him, {yet}, we love him.  He has the sweetest smile and amazingly white teeth. The small amount of information we have tells us this: he's twelve has six siblings, lives with them and him mama and doesn't know how is dad died.
I am so smitten with him.

God has been stirring my heart lately.  I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to do with the new emotions I had. You know the ones.  Feeling the need to jump into something you don't know much about, or even just knowing something different needs to happen but not knowing where to go with it??  {how many times can I say 'know/ing' in a sentence...}  I have been convicted of being overly selfish with my time and money and anything else in my life.   The guilt I have for my kids is ridiculous. Roman constantly asks me to play with him and I'm always 'doing it later' or 'I have to do ____ first'.  What a lame mom!  While there is a balance to playing with the littles and keeping up with other things around the house, we were off.  So, thanks to God, and reading this, the direction I needed to take was a little clearer.  I need to be okay with being less comfortable in my life.  No, I don't need that coffee, those clothes, all that home decor. Because George needs a meal, George needs clean water, George need medical supplies, George needs to hear about Jesus!! And not just George. James 2:14-17 folks.  It hit home with me.

So.

Jeff and I sat down with Roman before bed last night and scrolled through several photos of children needing our help,  and let him pick out the child he wanted to sponsor.  Super cute side note here- Roman saw this photo of George and as I said his {George's} name, Roman perked up and with an excited voice said "YEAH!! Like in the movie?! With the monkey!?? That's George!"  Obviously we clarified that while he was right about the same name thing, our George was indeed not a monkey, but a little boy who were were going to send money to every month so that he can eat, drink clean water, get medicine if he gets sick and be taught about Jesus.  Oh the mind of a three year old. So sweet.

Anyway. We are so excited to be called to help 'the least of these'.  Here's a powerful video that makes me cry every time I watch it.
I'm excited to see where God takes this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Its terrific to see how God is drawing your heart in as you contemplate what it means to love these kids. I am excited to follow your journey. Dylan